Newcrest Mining Limited (NML) commissioned Klohn Crippen Berger Ltd (KCB) to assess potential onland mine tailings storage options for the Lihir Mine in Papua New Guinea.
Scope of services:
- TSF options assessment including detailed terrain analysis and storage assessment
- Conceptual cost and volume estimates
This project was carried out at an ‘order of magnitude’ level to support high level decision making, comprised of:
- A staged assessment of potential tailings storage capacity:
- In-pit storage at Minifie and Lienetz open pits; followed by;
- Out of pit storage in a conventional, on-land tailings storage facility (TSF) on Lihir Island.
- Consideration of factors with potential to impact the selection process (e.g. constructability, environment, water management).
- Development of conceptual cost estimates for each option.