Klohn Crippen Berger Ltd has been providing hydrogeological and geochemical consulting support since 2010, and has developed a thorough understanding of the hydrogeological setting of the mine site and relevant infrastructure.
The services provided include:
- The numerical modeling of the groundwater system in order to better understand pit dewatering requirements, the potential impacts of future pit expansions and impacts from associated infrastructure (TSF expansion, WRD expansions etc.).
- Field investigations comprising drilling and bore installations; groundwater sampling; packer testing; infiltration testing; and, test pumping.
- Development of an integrated water balance model for the tailings storage facility (TSF) coupled with geochemical and groundwater modeling using GoldSim software.
- The objectives were to assess the inflows and outflows of from the TSF and predict water qualities by integrating geochemical modeling with water balance. A mass transport model was used to predict potential seepage plumes and locations. Goldsim software was used as the modeling platform for the water balance modeling.
- Geochemical characterisation and modelling of potential contamination emanating from waste materials produced by the mine. Modelling included the assessment of potential leaching characteristics from Waste Rock Dumps during operations and post-closure.