Project aim is to operate a large oil sands open-pit mining venture located north of Fort McMurray, Alberta. To support the project, Klohn Crippen Berger (KCB) provided engineering, procurement and construction services for the permanent dewatering system constructed at the key ore processing area on site.
As a prime contractor, KCB were responsible for the design, procurement and construction of eight buried groundwater collection lines with associated wells, submersible pumps and automated pump skids. KCB also constructed a 1.6 km buried utilities line to convey captured groundwater to a dedicated discharge system.
The project required geotechnical, civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, instrumentation and piping engineering expertise. KCB was able to provide the required expertise in-house. KCB engineers conducted all field monitoring, construction management and QA/QC tasks.
Highlights of the project included utilizing DeWind trenching techniques to construct the collector lines and design of one-off automated pump skids.
- Full service engineering, procurement and construction services
- Multi-disciplinary FEED and detailed design
- Staged engineering work packages
- Resource loaded scheduling
- Construction management and quality control
- Subcontractor management
- On site management of dewatering
- Daily reporting to FHELP construction management team