Mine Closure Practitioner
KCB Australia is a team of professionals whose passion is to provide solutions to our clients while reducing potential risks to the wider community and environment. KCB has 70 years international and local experience including in mine closure services. Our Brisbane, Perth and Newcastle teams are highly experienced in mine closure, mining and due diligence assessments, risk assessments, auditing, closure planning, closure cost estimation, and multi-disciplinary environmental and closure projects. We place very high regard on ongoing professional and technical development, committing to and support of industry technical bodies, and delivery of training and mentoring programs for all staff.
We have opportunities for mine closure professionals with 2 to 5 years’ experience to join our integrated and multi-disciplinary team to work on local and international projects. If you share our passion, please apply.
As a mine closure practitioner at KCB, you will have the opportunity to work on large-scale, world-class projects, predominantly from the resource sector. KCB’s continued growth will allow you to challenge and grow your closure and related skills while working with experienced geoscience and engineering teams. This technical role will provide you with the opportunity to work closely with other talented professionals committed to delivering high quality environmental, closure, geoscience, and engineering services.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Work internationally and in Australia on mining, closure, government, and resource industry projects
- Be involved with closure planning, landform assessments, closure cost estimation, environmental assessments, environmental management, and contribute to large multi-disciplinary projects in a range of environments
- Learn from, support, and collaborate with senior internationally experienced and well-respected closure, mine waste and mine water professionals with broad experience
- Work with a team of experienced geochemists, surface water and groundwater, geotechnical and GIS professionals in reviewing, interpreting, and reporting on environmental risks and performance, developing conceptual and detailed closure plans, and applying your environmental knowledge and principles to a variety of tasks and challenges
- Work closely with clients from concept, prefeasibility and feasibility-level design through to operations, closure, and post-closure stages of the project lifecycle
- Build and maintain strong client relationships and work continually to develop business
- Work in a wonderful smaller company culture with great work-life balance
- Travel within Australia and potentially internationally to various project locations
What we offer in addition to an exciting closure and environment role:
- 2.5% Additional superannuation
- Income Protection Insurance
- Training and development opportunities
- Novated leasing
We are seeking motivated and reliable individuals to apply for the position of Mine Closure Practitioner based in our Brisbane or Newcastle office. This is a technical advisory role intended to add value to our international closure and environment practice.
The ideal candidate(s) should have the following attributes:
- A minimum Bachelor's degree in environmental/civil engineering, environmental, geoscience, or a related field
- Over 2 years or relevant mining and/or closure experience or the equivalent of education and experience
- Experience and competence in quality technical report writing and using Excel for data inputs, analysis, and detailed calculations. Closure cost estimation experience using the Queensland or New South Wales government’s rehabilitation cost estimation tools would be an added advantage (with any experience in macros also of interest)
- Working knowledge and experience with general environmental management, risks and legislation related to rehabilitation and closure in Queensland and NSW including rehabilitation reforms and international industry good practice such as the Integrated Mine Closure Good Practice Edition 2nd Edition (International Council on Mining & Metals 2019)
- Experience with landform design and/or erosion assessment and/or cover design.
- Strong interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills in English, and the ability to work with a team of professionals
- Great listening skills, initiative, practicality, and organisation
- Willingness to undertake occasional site visits including workshops
- Be willing to travel domestically and internationally, occasionally in remote and varying environments sometimes
- Show comprehension and application of strong business ethics and health, safety, and environmental principles. Previous consulting experience is an asset
More about us:
KCB is a multi-disciplinary consulting firm providing engineering, geoscience and environmental services in the mining, hydropower, environmental, transportation, geotechnical, oil & gas, and water resources sectors. We offer a full range of services from our offices in Australia, Canada, USA, Peru, Brazil and the United Kingdom.
Our Australasian Group services mining, energy and government clients, with our regional area of operation comprising Australia, Africa, Asia and the Pacific Rim. Nationally, we have a large team of engineers, hydrogeologists, geochemists, specialist modellers and environmental professionals with a strong industry reputation and broad experience base.
We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from all qualified career seekers. We offer salaries commensurate with experience and an attractive benefits package. Candidates with a drive for team-oriented project delivery, and who have a desire to develop a long-term career, are especially encouraged to apply. KCB is an Australian Business Awards Employer of Choice recipient (2015-2021).
Are you up to the challenge?
If this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you, simply apply on-line with your résumé and covering letter.
We thank all candidates for applying however only short-listed candidates will be contacted