2019 will have a major focus on tailings dam design and best practices which will be complementary to the core ICOLD program. The Tailings Subcommittee encourages those that are involved with tailings dams to participate in the program.
- Sunday – CDA workshop on Dam Safety for Mining Dams and recent updates on Guidelines
- Monday morning – Tailings workshop presentations: (1) to be published Bulletin – Tailings Dam Design – Technology Update; (2) discussion of new Bulletin on Tailings Dam Safety, which articulates good design and good governance practices for tailings dam safety; and (3) Tailings Dam Surveillance. Young Engineers forum – activities.
- Tuesday – Tailings Subcommittee meeting: work on new bulletins, country updates
- Wednesday morning – Plenary Sessions, which also includes a keynote on Upstream Tailings Dams
- Wednesday afternoon – Tailings Symposium with 12 technical papers
- Thursday – Technical tour to Queen’s University: geosynthetic testing facilities and boat tour/lunch.
- Friday morning – Workshop with Mining Association of Canada: Tailings dam governance and new update of the Operations Maintenance and Surveillance Guideline, with discussions on Critical Controls for tailings dam safety.
- Friday afternoon – Workshop with Canadian Geotechnical Society: Tailings research and collaboration with universities with key topics of: dam break assessment, static liquefaction, co-disposal technologies and instrumentation/monitoring technologies.
- Saturday – Monday – East Tailings Tour: Canadian Malartic, Porcupine Complex and Vale Sudbury.
- Sunday – Tuesday – West Tailings Tour: Winery, Highland Valley Copper, Copper Mountain and New Afton.
Opening ceremony, young professionals boat cruise, cultural night, closing dinner, plus accompanying person activities.