There has been a long history of mining in the Kirkland Lake area, which has included the operation of several underground gold mines. The Macassa Mine, part of the property block currently owned by Kirkland Lake Gold (KLG), is one of seven gold mines in operation in the area.
Klohn Crippen Berger was retained to provide hydrologic, hydrogeologic, and geochemical investigations to support the 2011 Mine Closure Plan Amendment (CPA) for the Macassa Mine, Lakeshore, Teck-Hughes and Kirkland Minerals sites. The CPA was filed with the MNDM under the Mining Act in December 2011 with the final addenda completed in May of 2012. KCB lead a team of consultants to complete this multidisciplinary review and closure plan.
- Hydrogeological field investigation
- Water balance to support closure lake feasibility
- Management of multiple consultants to complete the CPA
- Review of water quality monitoring data and updated program recommendations
- Management of field geochemical studies
- Completion of the 2011 closure cost estimate