Hydrogeological investigations at a gold mine in Australia’s Pilbara region
The Nullagine Gold Project, owned by Millennium Minerals, is in the Pilbara region of northwestern Australia. KCB was commissioned to undertake hydrogeological investigations associated with the groundwater license applications at the various deposits.
KCB’s services included:
- site investigation including drilling monitoring bores, piezometer installation and groundwater sampling;
- evaluation of mine dewatering requirements and mine water inflows, including building and calibrating a numerical groundwater model using Visual MODFLOW software;
- development of a water balance analytical tool for determining water needs based on the current water supply-demand balance, reviewing bore yields, and ore processing and recycling fluxes over time;
- drilling supervision and installation of water supply bores, including identifying suitable drill targets based on geophysical surveys and test drilling results;
- desktop hydrogeological assessment of satellite deposits for identifying future investigation and modelling requirements;
- H1, H2 and H3 hydrogeological assessments;
- development of groundwater management plans.