Puget Sound Energy (PSE) owns and operates the Snoqualmie Falls Hydroelectric Facility located near the tourist area of Snoqualmie Falls. The existing facilities consist of a diversion dam and two powerhouses (Plants 1 and 2) with a total installed capacity of 44.4 MW. Plant 1 is a five-unit powerhouse originally constructed in 1898 and was the first underground powerhouse in North America. Plant 2 is a two-unit surface powerhouse originally constructed in 1910 and redeveloped in 1956.
The Snoqualmie Falls Redevelopment Project involves a combination of upgrading and/or replacing existing generating equipment and structures, in accordance with PSE’s new FERC license. The aesthetic aspects of the 110-year-old generating site will be preserved.
As part of the large-scale upgrade and redevelopment of the historic 47 MW Snoqualmie Falls Hydroelectric plants, switchyard design was completed to connect the generator step-up transformers to the 115 kV transmission line.
Following a competitive process, Klohn Crippen Berger was retained by PSE to carry out the condition assessment, preliminary and detailed design, preparation of tender documents, and construction services and commissioning.
- Preliminary design
- Site investigations
- Physical model test supervision
- Condition assessment
- Detailed multidiscipline design
- Cost estimating
- Tender document and construction services